Story of the Church Bell
In 1924, the members of the former Saint Casimir Parish purchased a bell for the tower of their church. In many instances these parishioners made great financial sacrifices to do so — they labored on farms, and in coal mines, steel mills and foundries. The bell has remained in the tower of the present church — Our Lady, Queen of Peace. The 32 inch bell weighs 700 pounds, is three feet in diameter, has a B flat tone, and was manufactured by Stuckstede and Bro. at the St. Louis Foundry. Over the years the bell has played an important role in the lives of the parish members and local residents — announcing to the faithful the time of day, reminding them to pray the Angelus, summoning them to daily and weekend Mass, encouraging them to pray for a couple that just celebrated the Sacrament of Matrimony, and pronouncing that one of the parish’s members has died. In the Fall of 2018 the parish established a Fund to make necessary upgrades to restore the bell.
The cost to undertake this endeavor was approximately $10,000. Parishioners and friends were invited to make a donation toward this project. Thanks to their generosity, as well as a donation of $7,872 from the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association, the bell has been restored. We thank the donors, as well as the FCSLA for their kindness to the parish and we assure them of our prayers and gratitude as we utilize this bell which was left as a legacy from those who have preceded us, but will be cherished by those who will follow after us.